“Better Housing, Better Living, Better Place”
The Better Queensway (BQ) project is a large scale development that will regenerate the Queensway area of Southend-on-Sea over the coming years. Seeking to deliver improved housing and a better quality environment which fully integrates with the town centre and its communities, the project has encapsulated this ambition as: “Better Housing, Better Living, Better Place”.
The Better Queensway opportunity area extends to c.10.3 hectares (c25.5 acres). The site is located in central Southend-on-Sea, next to Southend High Street and within easy reach of rail links to London as well as local bus provision.
The site currently comprises:
- Four residential tower blocks, built in the 1960s and containing 417 flats in total. Each tower is 15 storeys in height;
- 24 two-storey flats adjacent to Sutton Road;
- Temporary public car parking for the town centre;
- A separate public car park off Short Street which has been identified as a development site;
- A number of properties in private ownership to the south of the site on Southchurch Road comprising a mix of commercial and residential uses;
- Related highways.
Existing council residents
In addition to the properties in private ownership detailed above, there are currently 441 Council owned properties on the site. The current occupation of these properties is shown in the table below.
The scheme on the site will need to re-provide, as a minimum, an increase on the number of affordable homes across the site and within this to provide homes for those tenants and resident leaseholders who wish to stay, in line with the Council’s Tenant and Leaseholder offer documents.